The live action adaptation of “Mulan” has been delayed by the Mouse House again.
According to Variety, Disney has once more pushed “Mulan” back, this time to Aug. 21, abandoning their previous date of July 10. “Mulan” was originally set to open March 27, but was pushed back to July when the coronavirus surged in the United States.
Disney’s move coincides with several other studios making similar decisions. Warner Bros., for example, pushed back the Christopher Nolan’directed “Tenet.” Originally scheduled for July 17, and then postponed to July 31, Warner Bros. has decided to release it on Aug. 12, according to Variety.
The company MGM, meanwhile, has rolled back the new “Bill & Ted” flick by two weeks, with a date now set on Aug. 28, Variety reports. Additionally, Paramount Pictures has taken the spy film “Without Remorse,” based on a Tom Clancy book and starring Michael B. Jordan, and moved it from Oct. 2 to Feb. 26, 2021.
Movie theaters around the United States are beginning to set reopenings in motion, though. For example, the CEC Theatres company, which operates in Minnesota and surrounding states, is planning to reopen doors on July 10.
When theaters do open, only two pictures are set to be screened. One is a thriller starring Russell Crowe titled “Unhinged,” and the other is a romcom from Sony titled “The Broken Hearts Gallery.” “Unhinged” is set for July 10 while “Gallery” is scheduled for July 17.
While theaters have been closed, movies have still been available for streaming. Here some that I’ve recently reviewed:
- “Irresistible,” my rating: 1 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 40%, MetaCritic rating: 47, LetterBoxD rating: 2.6 out of 5.
- “You Should Have left,” my rating: 2.25 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 43%, MetaCritic rating: 47, LetterBoxD rating: 2.3 out of 5.
- “7500,” my rating: 3.5 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 69%, MetaCritic rating: 58, LetterBoxD rating: 3 out of 5.
- “Da 5 Bloods,” my rating: 2.75 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 92%, MetaCritic rating: 82, LetterBoxD rating: 3.7 out of 5.
- “The Assistant,” my rating: 4.5 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 91%, MetaCritic rating: 79, LetterBoxD rating: 3.5 out of 5.
- “The King of Staten Island,” my rating: 2.5 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 72%, MetaCritic rating: 68, LetterBoxD rating: 3.5 out of 5.
In the near future, the new World War II film “Greyhound” starring Tom Hanks and focused on naval battles, is set to be available to rent by streaming on July 10.