Like other businesses, Hollywood isn’t immune to the impacts of the coronavirus outbreak.
More than 100,000 cases have been reported and over 3,800 people have died according to the World Health Organization. As a result, production work and events in the film industry has been impacted.
Deadline reports that “Mission: Impossible 7” production has been postponed by Paramount. The three-week shoot was expected to start in Venice, Italy.
One of the major festivals of film, music and technology, South By Southwest, was also cancelled. The annual festival, which takes place in Austin, Texas, was set to run from March 13-22 before it was nixed.
According to Deadline, South By Southwest wasn’t the only festival impacted, either. The Prague International Film Festival, set for March 19-27 has been moved to an undetermined time this year. The Bentonville Filom Festival in Arkansas, which had been set for April 29-May 2 has been pushed to Aug. 5-8.
In Saudi Arabia, Deadline reports that the Red Sea International Film Festival has been cancelled, while the Thessaloniki Documentary Festival in Greece has been postponed from this month to May or June.
The International Film Festival and Forum on Human Rights and the Think Cinema Lausanne events, both scheduled for this month, were also canceled, Deadline reports.
The Screen Actors Guild is also cancelling and postponing meetings. Sony Pictures has also closed its offices in London, Paris, and Gdynia, Poland.
Thousands of theaters China, close to 40 in France and all of them in Italy have been closed, too. Hong Kong Filmart, Asia’s premiere film market, also postponed its event from March to August, Deadline reports.
At the box office this weekend, it was the Pixar movie “Onward” taking the top spot with nearly $40 million. Coming in second was “The Invisible Man,” which earned $15 million.
The full top five was:
1. Onward – $39,119,861
2. The Invisible Man – $15,132,340
3. The Way Back – $8,170,315
4. Sonic the Hedgehog – $7,704,067
5. The Call of the Wild – $6,762,405
On the small screen, meanwhile, movies available at home include:
- Uncut Gems, my rating: 4 out of 5 (2019 Honorable Mention), Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.86 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 92%, MetaCritic rating: 90.
- Bombshell, my rating: 3.5 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.1 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 70%, MetaCritic rating: 64.
- Spies in Disguise, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.2 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 75%, MetaCritic rating: 54.
- Charlie’s Angels, my rating: 2 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 2.8 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 52%, MetaCritic rating: 52.
Cover photo courtesy Variety.