Here we go.
We’re headed into the final opening weekend for a “Star Wars” movie for the immediate future, as the next picture in the franchise isn’t scheduled until 2022.
We’ll have more of an idea regarding quality on Wednesday, when the review embargo drops and critics can unleash their opinions. While the reviews are still a few days out, though, box office predictions are starting to roll in.
In its reporting, Box Office Mojo notes that “Rise of Skywalker” will hit 4,200 theaters. The number is just about where “The Last Jedi” was in terms of theater count, too.
The highest weekend opening for a “Star Wars” movie to date is “The Force Awakens” with $247.9 million, ahead of “The Last Jedi,” which grossed $220 million. Both are behind the third and fourth “Avengers” films, as “Infinity War” opened with $257.6 million and “Endgame” with $357.1 million.
Other recent “Star Wars” openings include “Rogue One” with $155 million and “Solo” with $84.4 million.
While “The Last Jedi” had a mixed reception, “The Rise of Skywalker” should be in good shape when it comes to ticket sales this weekend. “Frozen II” has been out for a few weeks so the only major release it has to compete with is the “Jumanji” sequel. It also will benefit from being the grand finale to this trilogy and, allegedly, the Skywalker saga as a whole.
When looking at recent box office results, it was the new “Jumanji” movie dominating the box office with more than $60 million. “Frozen II” also had another good weekend, making nearly $20 million in its fourth weekend.
The full top five was:
1. Jumanji: the Next Level – $60,100,000
2. Frozen II – $19,182,200
3. Knives Out – $9,250,000
4. Richard Jewell – $5,000,000
5. Black Christmas – $4,420,000
On the small screen, meanwhile, home releases include:
- Ad Astra, my rating: 4.8 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.71 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 84%, MetaCritic rating: 80.
- Downton Abbey, my rating: 3.5 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.39 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 84%, MetaCritic rating: 64.
- Abominable, my rating: 2.8 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.29 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 81%, MetaCritic rating: 61.
- Rambo: Last Blood, my rating: 3 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 2.5 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 27%, MetaCritic rating: 26.
- Overcomer, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 50%, MetaCritic rating: 17.
- Where’s My Roy Cohn, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 86%, MetaCritic rating: 70.