The Cannes Film Festival is continuing to make headlines in the industry, with several movies getting picked up for future release.
Most recently, Fox Searchlight picked up “A Hidden life,” which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival Sunday, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Directed by Terrence Malick, the picture is a World War II drama about an Austrian farmer who becomes a conscientious objector and refused to serve the Nazi regime and was later jailed.
THR reports that the film also drew bids from Paramount, Sony Pictures Classics, Netflix, A24 and Focus Features. Malick is no stranger to Cannes, in years past he won the Palme d’Or award for “The Tree of Life,” which went on to earn a Best Picture nomination from the Academy.
Amazon Studios, meanwhile, has won the rights to “7500,” a thriller starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt about a hijacking. According to Deadline Hollywood, the movie was acquired through the Cannes market.
The film is directed by Patrick Vollrath, who also wrote the script. In 2015, Vollrath was nominated for his work in the 2015 animated short picture “Everything Will Be Okay.”
Levitt, a two-time Golden Globe nominee, plays a co-pilot of a plane hijacked by terrorists in the flick.
At the box office this weekend, the fourth “Avengers” was finally knocked off its perch by “John Wick 3.” The action flick opened with $57 million in its first week. “Endgame” still had a respectable $29.4 million.
The full top five was:
1. John Wick 3 – $57,025,000
2. Avengers: Endgame – $29,411,000
3. Detective Pikachu – $24,815,000
4. A Dog’s Journey – $8,000,000
5. The Hustle – $6,080,788
For the small screen, meanwhile, new releases are:
- How to Train Your Dragon 3, my rating: 3.7 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.8 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 91%.
- The Upside, my rating: 2.9 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 2.94 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 40%.
- Isn’t it Romantic, my rating: 3 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 2.73 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 69%.