While the Elton John biopic “Rocketman” isn’t scheduled for release until summer 2019, a first look at the upcoming picture was still put out by Paramount Monday.
According to Entertainment Weekly, the film stars Taron Egerton as John in the biopic, directed by Dexter Fletcher. Egerton is most known for the “Kingsman” action movie franchise. EW reports that Paramount is billing “Rocketman” as an ‘epic musical fantasy’ and will follow John’s road to “worldwide fame” ahead of the film’s titular song.
Last week, Paramount released the first photo (above) of Egerton as the famous singer. Along with Egerton, EW reports that the cast includes Bryce Dallas Howard, Jamie Bell, Richard Madden and Gemma Jones.
This isn’t the first time Egerton has worked with Fletcher. The 2016 film “Eddie the Eagle” was directed by Fletcher and starred Egerton in the lead role as an Olympic athlete. Their latest collaboration is scheduled for a May 31, 2019 release.
At the box office this weekend, it was the comedy “Night School” taking the top spot with $28 million. The new animated film “Smallfoot” wasn’t far behind, taking in $23 million over the weekend.
The full top five was:
1. Night School – $28,000,000
2. Smallfoot – $23,020,000
3. House with a Clock in its Walls – $12,510,000
4. A Simple Favor – $6,600,000
5. The Nun – $5,435,000
Meanwhile, for the small screen, home releases include:
- The First Purge, my rating: 3.25 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 2.9 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 54%.
- Sicario: Day of the Soldado, my rating: 4 out of 5, Large Association of Movie Blogs rating: 3.13 out of 5, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 63%.
- Three Identical Strangers, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 97%.
- Leave No Trace, Rotten Tomatoes rating: 100%.